Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How I'm living

Direct from the pages of Better Huts & Hovels, I am pleased to present…

…my new apartment!

Yes, dear readers, I realize I haven't posted in quite some time. Please, forgive me. As these pictures will show, I have been busy not only settling in to my new digs, but also taking copious pictures of them and working up the cajones to use the phrase "dear readers" in a blog-post.

Obviously, that first photo up there is of my front door. Walking into the apartment and looking to your left, you would see this:

My living room, replete with reading lamp and chair there in the foreground and electronic entertainment there in the background. And how's about that rug, folks?

From this left-looking position, swivel your head to the right slightly and feast your eyes on…

…my awesome and amazing decorating sense in all its glory! Yes, that is a replica lightsaber up there on the cheapass ladder shelves. Yes, that is my trusted Fender Jagmaster in the background. Yes, that is a beanbag chair in the foreground and a swiveling floor-chair next to the beanbag chair. And, yes, that is the smallest dining-room table known to humanity.

Exciting, no?

Now, I realize you're all waiting with 'bated breath to see the rest of the apartment, especially those parts at which I've already hinted. However, before we proceed any farther, allow me to take you coats…

…and hang them in the coat closet, where they will be in very good company with my own, seldom used, coats. An interesting note: to the immediate right of the coat closet is my "Guest Stick," which I keep handy for those times when I have unexpected visitors. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, evangelists and traveling salesfolk, take note!

Moving on to the rest of the apartment, you will have noticed the back door visible in one of the photos above. Please allow me to show you my back patio:

Stepping out the back-door, we are greeted with this view. That tree there in the foreground is known as "Mr. Awesome." He is one of my new best friends.

In case you were wondering what the patio itself looks like:

Voila! Believe it or not, as in-doorsy as I am, I spend an awful lot of time out here.

Headed back in through the back-door, we are greeted with the kitchen:

As you can see, I may boast not only a back-door and sink, but a dishwasher as well! Impressed? Oh, wait, there's more:

Not only does my kitchen have a dishwasher, but it also includes a stove and refrigerator! One could almost get the impression that I am living like a normal human being, no?

Now, let us travel deep into the bowels of my apartment. "The depths," one might way, if one had only said we were going to travel deep into the apartment, because saying "deep into the depths" is akin to saying "Please, empty my drool cup, as I am unable to think clearly."

Here is my hallway. To the left:

A laundry-nook, which is currently empty! (Thoughtful gift givers, take note: a washer, at the very least, and a dryer, sometime a little later on [since I have learned that clothes will, over time, as if by magic, dry themselves!] would be very much appreciated!) To the right:

The entrance to my bedroom! Inviting, no? Makes you women want to come in and sleep with me, am I right? What? Wait, wait…have you seen:

My bed? It's a single! Guaranteed snuggling! Plus, I have Yoshitaka Amano's version of Neil Gaiman's character Dream of the Endless watching over us! That's pretty sexy, right?

Hmm. Well, how's about this:

There's my desk! You'll notice that I have Cthulhu dressed as Santa Claus there! I also have a print of the Virgin Mary gazing out, but I can explain that! See, at first I wasn't sure who she was, but I knew she looked like Cate Blanchett and I had to buy the print because Cate Blanchett is really hot!

Oh, c'mon…I know she's too damn skinny, but all women agree that Cate Blanchett is hot, right? Especially when she looks like the Virgin Mary?

Okay, okay. How's about this?

It's my walk-in closet. Walk-in closets are pretty cool, right

No? They're de rigeur these days?

Oh, well, might as well close up with this, then:

Yup. That's me acting like a dork in front of my large, bathroom mirror. There're a toilet and a bathtub/shower in there as well, but I figure that's "de rigeur" as well.

Anyway, and in short: I'm fine. I love my new place. I spent too much money buying furniture, but Friday's payday and all will be fine then!

Hope all of you are doing well, in turn. I'll try to post more, now that I'm done putting furniture together!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe is it just me or does the wallpaper in the bathroom remind you of the print in the wallpaper/shirt combo in Garden State? Just me? I'll get my coat. I'm sure I saw a coat cupboard around here somewhere...

BTW why does the anti-spam thing below call itself "word verification"? Since when is "aozwmwf" a word? And in what language?

Anonymous said...

it looks really light and spacious, verruh nice! and you have a teapot, which personally I know I could not do without.

And so congratulations on your new abode!

now you need a puppy!!! or a cat!!!

ok, maybe I should stop there. :)

Melanie said...

I love your sense of humor in this place, excited self-deprecation is a funny thing indeed. Frankly, your place looks pretty great. Call me a tad bit jealous with all your space there. Of course, that teeny, tiny table makes your dining area look HUGE! By the way, I did notice that rug right away, and it really ties the room together (har har!). As for your bedroom, well, let's just say that picture of Dream brought back a nice memory. It is my hope for you that the ladies will appreciate your good taste, because I know they'll be impressed by your tidiness (neatness counts, trust me on this).

I really like your old pine tree out back. It has to be old to be that thick in the trunk. Pine trees make me feel nostalgic for the South. It's been far too long (two years) since I've been down there. Though I don't have pine trees, I do have the mighty Mississippi 3 blocks away, which is lined with autumnal hues right now, and that's pretty awesome. Still, part of me longs to drive over Mont Eagle in Tennessee and come down the mountain in October when the trees are spread out in flames before me.

Okay, enough babble. Congrats on your awesome new place. You have been patient and worked hard to get where you are.

Anonymous said...

wait, what are the paintings next to your teeny tiny dining room table? they look interesting.

Anonymous said...

I came nosing around because you left a comment on ombra's site that was exactly what I was thinking...only to pop over here and find that we have the same job, and that you have one of my bffs on your list of blogs (morgane). How have I not come across you before? Total weirdness.

ps I wish my apt was half as cute as yours.

Anonymous said...

so did anyone capture you and your costume on film, digital or otherwise? and would ye share it?