Tuesday, July 24, 2007

More photographs!

A couple weeks ago (Thursday, July 12, to be exact) I went to a show and took my camera along. I was again experimenting with settings and, true to my word, avoiding flash and auto settings. The results were…well, let's say that initially I wasn't too impressed with them. However, I have access to Photoshop and I haven't put up a self-indulgent photography mega-post in a while, so what the hell…

First off, the by now obligatory shot of my shoe:

(Those are new shoes, by the way; I'll be retiring my old pair, which served me well through five years in three different states, shortly. I've already picked out the light-pole I'll be tossing them over. Expect pics.)

Okay now, let's set the scene:

This is the ceiling of the Soul Bar and I have to say that it's an awesome ceiling. This is also the brightest the place was all night: rock shows in small bars in downtown Augusta aren't known for their complicated lighting rigs, which is a large part of their charm.

Sound-check! Here are two of the members of the band, Camouflage Spaceship, setting up and testing out their rigs. According to their website, that's Chimmy P.J. Mack on guitar and lead vocals there to the left and B1 Bomber behind the drums on the right. As you can see, I'm having the wonderful "slow-shutter-speed-acid-flashback" issues I had last time I tried to do something like this. Yet, I don't care.

And here's the entire band; from left to right: Miss Ellaneous on piano, keyboard and vocals; Chimmy again; Deja Vu on vocals and percussion; Mr. B1, again; and EZ on bass. This is all according to the website―if I have anyone's names wrong, let me know and I'll print a retraction. Or something.

Just for the record, all these folks are very nice and patient people who are not nearly this blurry in person. I thank them for letting me set up a tripod and stifle all dancing in my area.

Okay, things are set up now, which means they stay still and are easily photographed!

They are however, saturated in red light. Whatever.

In between sound-check and show I experimented a bit with catching people holding still; heads were entirely optional

Showtime! Here're some shots of Chimmy:







I have no excuse for that last shot, except to say that you're looking at an album cover quality microphone, there. Chimmy, on the other hand, I managed to capture looking suspiciously like Les Claypool. Sorry, man.

Okay, here're some shots of Deja Vu:



Yeah, yeah, I know: they're really dark. What can I say? I like the shiny bits. Sue me.

Here's B1:

The look on his face makes me real glad I'm not a cymbal.

And here's the rhythm section:

And that's it for photos!

My apologies to everyone in the band I didn't manage to photograph very well (i.e. everybody). The good news is they're playing again this Saturday at Room9 in Augusta. I plan on showing up.

No comments: