Friday, November 03, 2006

The rapture is near!

Don't forget your pets!

The Morning News | "The Kennel at the End of the World" by Federico Garduño



Been a busy couple of days here in John-land. Last Thursday I got a call from the Medical College of Georgia up in Augusta regarding a graphic designer position I'd applied for. "We're interviewing on November 2," says the voice on the phone. "Would you be interested in the position?"

"I'm fascinated with the position," I replied. "What time should I be there?"

"Well," says the voice, "we're only interviewing on the second, and you're the first person we've called, so we're pretty much open. When would be good for you?"

"Earlier," I replied, certain parts of my brain which deal with the reality of situations coming out of their stunned state. "As early as possible would be best for me."

"How's nine, then?"

"Nine is perfect! Just tell me where I need to be at 9 a.m. on the second and I'll be there!"

So the voice gives me a place to be, some cursory directions and wishes me a good day. I thanked him, breathlessly, and got the heck off the phone quick because, at that point, the part of my brain which deals with the reality of situations was screaming at me about several urgent difficulties with this particular situation:
  1. I already have a job, albeit one I hate, and I don't know if I'm scheduled to work on November 2;
  2. I have no money for a place to stay in Augusta;
  3. I have no money for gas to get there!
Despite these factors, I have agreed to be there and interview! Am I that desperate for a good job that I have completely ignored the reality of my situation and agreed to something which may be impossible? Am I mad?

The answer to the first question: an emphatic, shout-it-to-the-heavens-replete-with-all-the-emphasis-tags-I-can-bring-to-bear YES!

The answer to the second question remained to be seen. Fueled by my desperation I leaped into action!
  1. A quick check of my schedule revealed that, not only was I scheduled at 5 p.m. on November 2, I was also off on both October 31 and November 1. A quick request at my current job and I swapped shifts with my boss on October 30 so that I got off at 5 p.m.—I now had plenty of time to get to Augusta and back!
  2. A quick email to my friend Kate in Aiken (who threatened me with a beating if I didn't apply for the job in the first place) and I am welcome to stay in her and her husband Chris's home—I was now lodged, comfortably and amongst excellent company, within 30 miles of Augusta!
  3. A quick phone call to my Dad (who encouraged me to go after this job with claws out and teeth bared because MCG is one of the best employers in Augusta, if not all of Georgia itself) and he generously agreed to send me $100 for gas—I was now able to travel without bouncing my rent check!
So the answer to the question "Was I mad?" is emphatically answered: NO! To the contrary, I am loved!

Okay, that may be a bit melodramatic, I know. But I feel loved. Not because of the material value of the generosity shown to me, but for the generosity itself. Thank you Dad, Chris & Kate for making it possible for me to pursue a good job in a place where I'm comfortable, close to all my family and already have excellent friends. What you did for me means a lot. I appreciate it much more than I can make clear here.

How did the interview itself go? Well…it was awful. They laughed at me and told me to go back to retail, as I wasn't fit to be a graphic designer at Kinko's, much less at MCG….

Hah! Fooled you! The interview went splendidly. I feel very good about it and I think I've got an excellent chance of getting the job. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it, though. I've done all I can and it's out of my hands.

(However, if y'all want to keep your fingers crossed for me, I'd really appreciate it.)

No matter what, whether I get the job or not, I have to admit that I feel better about myself than I have in a long time. I'm going to take that positivity and do everything I can with it.

I'm grateful to everybody who's helped me to feel this way, too. Thank you all so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I'm not handling this as well as I would hope, but I guess that is part of the tragedy of it all. There is nothing to be done but try and heal. But jesus, it fucking hurts.

Any updates on the job?