Sunday, May 13, 2007

How I spent Mother's Day

Short answer: I worked. It was really, really dull.

Slightly longer answer: Electronics are, even in the 21st century, not the gift of choice for moms on Mother's Day, so I spent most of my time hanging out with these two:



That's Kelly on the left (she's in fourth grade) and Karen on the right (she's in seventh grade). Their mom and dad work at the manicure place a couple stores down from mine and―because where electronics aren't popular Mother's Day gifts, manicures and pedicures apparently are―she and her husband were very busy and brought the girls to work with them today. Between riding their skateboards up and down the sidewalk out front and trying to get Habbo to work on our customer computer, they spent most of their time in politely inquisitive (and frankly charming) conversation with me. How did I get so lucky? I have no idea.

It's funny…now that I'm officially old, I sort of regret not having kids of my own. I enjoyed the company of two little girls more than I did the company of my co-workers and a good 90% of my customers today. I think that might mean I'd make a pretty decent dad. The way things are going, though, I don't think I'm going to have a chance to find out.

Eh…whatever. I get to be the "cool uncle." That should be good enough for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait, when did you get old? 'cause, if you are, then I am as well... damn.

Anonymous said...

JOHN! wow, long time no look at this! haha.

Anonymous said...

hey john, its kelly. read my blog(: