Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I am entranced...

Because I am an aging (Aged? Damn, I hope not...), liberal guy with little money, an English degree and a strong aversion to commercials, I listen to a lot of NPR, and am especially fond of This American Life. Last week's show played on the theme of "Mind Games," and featured a piece on Improv Everywhere, a troupe of NYC-based improv actors who take their "scenes" out into the public sphere in the hope of spreading a bit of wonder and weirdness among the masses. It's sort of like Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters without the political underpinnings, or Project Mayhem without the property damage.

Needless to say, I am entranced. Doing something like this seems like a lot of fun. I yearn, deep in my soul, to try something like the scenes these folks pull. My favorite one is probably The Möbius, where they created a "time loop" in a Starbucks. I'm also fond of the absurdity and positivity inherent in the Look Up More mission. However, I'd have to say that my favorite moment, as documented on their site, is probably from the Megstore (sic) mission:
Megastore guy: They were all just standing there.
Cop: What were they doing?
Megastore guy: Just standing, and then they all danced.
Cop: Did they say anything?
Megastore guy: No.

Pause

Cop: Why are we here?
Why, indeed?

So...anyone in Milwaukee doing stuff like this? Anyone want to start? Because I, for one, am in!

No comments: