Saturday, August 11, 2007

Soliciting suggestions…Wait! Never mind

I recently finished reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and find myself at loose ends for a book to read. My dad wants me to read The Assault on Reason, by Al Gore. My friend Lane wants me to read No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy…

Well…I was going to ask y'all what book I should read next, and you can tell me if you'd like; I'm always accepting excellent book suggestions. However, while googling around to find a link to No Country for Old Men, I found that it will very soon be a movie directed by none other than the Brothers Coen. So…yeah, I think I'm going to go pick that up.

Thanks for reading, though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAIT!!! Is this your first Cormac McCarthy book??? Because it really isn't his style, I am not sure what was going on when he wrote that. I read it this summer, and really forgot that he wrote it, the style is so different. If this is your first read by him, I'd suggest reading Suttree or Blood Meridian first, just to get a feel of why those of us who love him, love him.

Ok, I'm done. I'm sure the Cohen bros will have a blast with it, and I'll see it, since I still love Tommy Lee Jones like crazy.

buzz said...

I would personally suggest starting with Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe and then obsessively making your way through everything he's ever written. (That's what happens, by the way, when you read Gene Wolfe.)

Otherwise, I'd recommend The Black Company series by Glen Cook. There's nine (?) books, I believe.