Friday, September 12, 2008

Bring in the feds

The latest bit about the deputy fired on assault charges here in Aiken is here.

The FBI will investigate the incident. As the first commenter on the story notes, it seems likely this will be the focus, although the FBI hasn't said so. I can't imagine what else it could be, though.

I'm not sure how the community is going to take to a Federal investigation into this incident. Comments on the stories seem to indicate a seriously divided community opinion. Plus, well…Southerners don't have a long and happy relationship with the Federal government. I mean, there's that whole Civil War thing, and Reconstruction—you'd be amazed how many white Southerners are still pissed about that. And then there's forced desegregation and, well…pretty much the entire 1960s and a good chunk of the '70s.

I think there are going to be some very angry people in this town. A lot of folks who swear up and down they're not racists are liable to show their true stripes.

I'm not looking forward to that.

Is anyone else having problems with the embedded videos? Morgane has said she's having difficulties, but it works fine for me. If other people are having troubles, let me know and I'll check into it.

No comments: