Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Where is my mind?

I think I'm losing it.

Last Friday, December 1, I wrote out my rent check. My rent, including the utility charges for water and garbage and such, comes to $486 or so. I wrote the rent check for $286. Then I put it in an envelope, lightly sealed it and strolled down to the complex's office and turned it in. I was whistling a tune to myself while I did it.

I have no idea why I did that. I honestly thought I'd written if for the correct amount.

On Saturday, when I discovered my error (the office here uses a check scanner and keeps their account at the same bank I do, so my check posted fast) I freaked out. My thoughts spread out across a wide spectrum: at one end, the thought that, maybe, because I'd been renting here for 9 months, a $200 portion of my deposit had been refunded, so the people at the office had changed my check to reflect that; at the other end, the terror that I'd slipped over the line from "a little weird and eccentric" to "stupid and insane."

The latter case seems to be true. Yesterday I went down there and, after borrowing $100 from my brother to cover it, wrote a check for $280. The $80 increase covers my late fee which, obviously, I couldn't afford.

Just to top things off, on Sunday I returned a DVD case to the library. No DVD in it, just the case.

The truth is, I have been distracted lately. Thursday night I came home and, for no discernable reason, got fascinated with the relationship between square-roots and irrational numbers, drifting off to sleep with the countable (yet infinite) set of all rational square-roots and the uncountable (yet also infinite) set of all irrational square-roots spinning around my head. Friday night I dropped off casting the long-rumored Watchmen movie in my head. I'd settled on J.K. Simmons as The Comedian and, in the role of his life, Steve Buscemi as Rorshach and was casting a tentative vote for Tim Robbins as Dan Dreiberg/Nite Owl when I finally lost consciousness. And yesterday, after all the running around taking care of my real-life stupidity, I revisited good ol' Phineas Gage before I trundled off to work.

Anyway, I don't know what's up with me. I feel like I'm just wandering around with all this stuff in my head that interests me, but I've got no-one with whom I can discuss it. That makes me sad, and lonely.

However, on the bright side, I could be wrong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're wrong, moron. Of course you have people, you just have to pick up the phone and call. : )

Lacking psychic ability, no one knows you want to/need to talk unless you reach out.

And I've had days like that too! More often than I'd care to admit, and I'm afraid those days are multiplying exponentially as I get older. Why on God's green earth are you getting philosophical about square roots and such? Most people prefer to dummy down for escapism. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, we out here; give us a call.

Heard anything official yet?

Anonymous said...

Good readin', as always.

However, I think you're wrong on the Rohrshach casting. Steve Buschemi is a creepy and good actor. However, I think if you look at the Watchmen, one person has the voice for him - which they refer to as being gravelly monotone - and the frame.

My man, Tom Waits.

Either way, I think a feature version of it will be a mistake. Really needs to be a miniseries, at bare minimum.

I agree on the Comedian and Night Owl II though.

~~ jason